Texas Patchnose Snake

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Night Cruising 4/23/10

Me and the kingsnake
Meahllmorum rat snake
The second Rattlesnake
DOR Checkered Garter
Desert Kingsnake
Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

A few weeks ago in April I went road cruising down in south Texas in search of snakes. The lack of cloud cover limited our finds to only a few snakes yet it still yielded a few good finds, including a first for me. We started cruising at about 8:00 and had a few early finds but as the night wore on the action slowed down as a huge storm rolled in across the flat landscape. Early in the night our first find was the infamous Western Diamond back Rattlesnake. This snake was about 4 ft and thick bodied. A few minutes later we ran into a new species for me, the Desert King Snake. The near three foot adult immediately struck up a defensive pose and began to shake its' tail. As we continued cruising we saw only another rattler and a DOR checkered garter snake. This second rattlesnake was darker in color than the first. The last snake of the night was a meahllmorum rat snake. Subspecies of the emory rat snake this wasn't truly a first for me but this was a new subspecies for me to find in the wild so I was happy to be able to cross it off of my list of snakes I have found in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment